Here’s what I’m loving this week:
A new pair of shoes
I bought these booties two weeks ago at Target and love them. I’ve gotten several compliments already. I initially bought a black pair, and I’m thinking about going back for a brown pair, too! They’re the perfect height to wear with jeans or leggings.
A new season
In case you haven’t heard, Serial is back! For those of you who are like me and loved Season 1, you’ll enjoy this season as well. Sarah spent a year in a Cleveland courthouse following “the extraordinary stories of ordinary cases.” It’s riveting. New episodes come out every Thursday.
Also, if you didn’t check out S-Town, which came out between Seasons 2 and 3, you should. It’s a crazy ride, but the storytelling is excellent.
A helpful reminder
A modified recipe
I saw an ad from Hillshire Farm in Real Simple a few weeks back for this recipe and wanted to try it. It seemed a little plain, so I tracked it down online and made a few changes based on the reviews:
- I used the whole can of tomato sauce (instead of half).
- I didn’t use mozzarella. (I don’t do dairy.) Zach added Mexican blend cheese on top of his bowl and said it was delicious. Other notes mentioned colby jack is good.
- I used fresh broccoli instead of frozen.
- I used Zatarain’s dirty rice for additional flavor. (Several notes said the original recipe was bland.)
- I added the vegetables without the tomato sauce and broth at first to allow them a chance to saute a bit. Then a few minutes later, I added the liquids and followed the recipe as instructed.
Zach was a fan, saying this will be a great dish when it’s finally chilly out. We’re excited to enjoy the leftovers later this week, too.
A guide to midterms
As part of the nonpartisan No Excuses campaign to encourage increased participation in the upcoming elections, theSkimm sent out this guide in their Thursday email. It gives easy-to-digest info about key issues so that you can be informed prior to Election Day. They also have a page dedicated to key races.
If you think midterms don’t matter, you’re wrong. And here’s why.
Politics aside, if you’re interested in getting news highlights in your inbox each morning (without worrying about feeling overwhelmed, confused, or depressed), sign up for theSkimm here.
What are you loving this week?